Do you feel like you don’t have the time to do self-care because you don’t have an hour plus a day to devote to it?
I definitely have a long history of not doing things because I couldn’t do them perfectly or the way I thought they “should” be done. I figured the small things didn’t really matter, but boy I was wrong.
The first time I really noticed how small things added up was when I was taking a self-guided classroom management course. As a life long procrastinating perfectionist with an already over booked schedule, I was anxious about finding the time to actually get all the work done.
My plan was to work for 20 minutes every day on it. Just 20 minutes. My promise to myself was that I would stop working as soon as the timer went off even if I had’t finished anything. I just needed to start something.
Well, two weeks later of daily 20 minute bursts of actual work (it’s really hard to procrastinate when you only have 20 minutes) and I was finished with the class and feeling quite accomplished.
With that success under my belt, I started looking for other areas in my life where I could put 20 minutes of attention.
Kitchen duty that used to completely overwhelm me? – Done.
Mounds of laundry? – Done.
Yoga home practice? – Done.
If you are looking for ways to help take care of yourself, why not start with small ways that don’t take much time?
1. Sip a cup of tea in silence.
2. Go to bed 10 minutes earlier and get a bit more shut eye.
3. Read a book for pleasure.
4. A single restorative yoga pose.
5. Schedule a massage, a much needed doctor appointment or a visit with your insurance agent to review your life insurance policy (ok, maybe that one is for me).
6. Slather lotion on your hands and feet and let it soak in before you move.
7. Snuggle with your sweetheart.
8. Cook a warm breakfast or make a green smoothie to go.
9. Take yourself on a walk.
10. Make an appointment to talk to a therapist if you are really struggling.
How do you manage your self-care?
Tonight instead of just watching Wallander from my couch, I spread out my yoga mat and did a few restorative poses….and thought of you and your blog! I just wanted to share that so you know that you’re touching my life!