One of the biggest losses when giving up dairy has been digging in the sweets tray after dinner or at the holidays. I used to live for cake (cup or otherwise) and if I’m being honest, the frosting, but that all came to a screeching halt when I finally figured out that dairy was poisoning me. Good bye, Freeport Bakery! Good bye birthday cupcakes every day at work!
Sacramento’s vegan sweet treats have proven to be quite limited, so I’ve been exploring options at home.
Without further ado, I bring you Dairy Free Chocolate Chip Cookie Bars.
Recipe is based on the back of the Trader Joe’s chocolate chips bag.
Dairy Free Chocolate Chip Cookie Bars
Makes about 40 teeny tiny squares or 4 gigantic ones. It all depends on you.
2 1/4 cups all purpose flour
1 tsp salt
1 tsp baking soda
1 cup brown sugar, firmly packed
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1 cup softened earth balance (or coconut oil, so I’ve heard)
1 tsp vanilla
1/2 cup of unsweetened apple sauce
1 12 oz packet of dairy free chocolate chips (I used semi-sweet from Trader Joe’s)
What to do:
1. Preheat oven 375 degrees F. Combine flour, salt, and baking soda in a bowl then set aside.
2. Combine sugars, fat, vanilla and applesauce.
3. Add dry ingredients to wet.
4. Add chocolate chips.
5. Spread mixture into lightly greased 9X13 pyrex glass dish.
6. Bake for 22 minutes.
7. Cut into tiny pieces and try not to eat them all yourself before your spouse comes home from work.
What’s for dessert at your house these shorter, cooler days?
Not really feeling this recipe? You can always visit the recipe archive for more dinner ideas.
Photo Credit: Me