I am shocked how fast June went by and how absolutely exhausted I was by the end. When I looked back on the month I was surprised to find I had slept 10 of 30 nights in a bed other than my own – crazy for a homebody like me. No wonder I felt ungrounded and if I’m being honest, a bit grumpy. Well, that and several days over 100 degrees.
July is already shaping up to be a busy month as well, but I am on notice to take especially good care of myself. Hot weather brings up the irritable, nothing is going well feelings if I’m not careful, so I’m making special note to practice some cooling restorative yoga, drink some fancy coconut milk drinks and not turn the oven on.
How’s your summer going so far? I’d love to hear how you keep yourself cool and comforted in the summer – please send me a message.
With lots of self-kindness and love,
PS – If something in this (or any post) resonates with you and you think someone you know might like it too, please forward it to a friend.
PPS – If you enjoyed this post, get email updates (it’s FREE).
Links To Love:
For the last few months I have been doing these reflection posts after being inspired by Rosie’s posts. Taking time each month to reflect on the good things that happen each day/week/month has done wonders for my ability to actually stop and notice the good stuff.
Ten Things I Loved In June 2014
Things I/We Did
1. Curve Camp. 3 days of body positive yoga, three life-changing workshops with Rosie Molinary, Dyana Valentine and Vivienne McMaster, a photo booth, friendship bracelet making, tons of great food and so many laughs. I can’t wait to go again next year!
2. Kicked Summer of Intentionality into high gear. I am happy to announce I finished five books in June. That pleases me because reading makes me happy and I can get sidetracked and miss out on one of my life’s simplest pleasures. So happy to have made reading a priority again!
I’ve been making headway on the new website (OMG- so excited!), I am signed up for a Be Your Own Beloved summer class to gain some insight into liking what I see in my photos, we’ve been swimming lessons and hanging in the pool and our backyard dining table has been getting a lot of use.
Travel was definitely a theme in June. In fact, I slept 10 out of 30 nights in a bed other than my own. June felt like it went by really fast and now I know why!
3. Coached my first teacher in The Healthy Happy Sane Teacher. By now I’m sure most of you have heard about my and Rosie’s sustainable self-care program, but did you know we’re now offering live coaching services too? I did my first session in June and I LOVED it. Working one-on-one with people on their goals makes me happy. People can move so quickly toward where they want to be with a little support. It’s so exciting! Please send me a message (tami_hackbarth at hotmail) if you want more information or want to schedule a session.
4. Art Journal class with Brene Brown using the Gifts of Imperfection. Last fall I took part of of this class and did not finish it. I have a long story I tell myself about how I “never” finish anything and I won’t bore you with the details, but I was determined to not continue down this path. Instead I blocked time out of my schedule and made working on the extremely pleasurable exercises non-negotiable. Because who doesn’t have to MAKE themselves do things they really LIKE to do? God, please tell me I’m not alone…. Anyway, I decided to use my one bite of the apple technique to get through all the exercises in the class and I’m happy to report I FINISHED and I had fun and I felt accomplished. Plus now I have this really, really beautiful journal filled with exercises from one of my favorite books. I enjoyed the art part of the class so much I made watercolor and hand-lettering part of my Summer of Intention.
5. Connected in person. Can we all agree we love the internet and how we always know what is up with our favorite people? Can we also agree that people aren’t really showing us the whole story on social media and seeing faces and sharing hugs and meals and entire stories is really what life is about? Note to self: more face to face time. More hugs. More tears. More hand holding. More time together. Showing up matters. That PSA is a reminder to all of us, especially me.
Products and Services I Dug:
6. Gizeh Sandals by Birkenstock – I wear these so much I might just need to get rid of all of my other shoes. If you are on the fence because you just aren’t sure you want to wear Birkenstocks, just do it. They are so comfortable and you’ll constantly be high fiving all the other cute ladies wearing theirs. PS – I might need an intervention. I want them in every color.
7. Nordstrom Rack for bras. A while back I shared I have been wearing the wrong bra size (by THREE cups) for my whole life and so I went in search of ridiculously gigantic new bras. Add insult to injury because these new gigantic bras are also really expensive. Enter Nordstrom Rack (I love I’m getting my rack taken care of at The RACK)… you get all the expensive brands at significant discount and you get to try them on before you buy. I tried going the Amazon route (which wasn’t terrible), but I had to return every single bra I bought. Again, not the worst thing in the world because they make returns super easy, but I love some instant gratification of walking out of a store bras in hand. So if you find you are in need of some new bras, check out the RACK.
Books I Can Highly Recommend:
8. Flora & Ulysses by Kate DiCamillo
9. A Walk in the Woods: Rediscovering America on the Appalachian Trail by Bill Bryson
10. Bridget Jones: Mad About the Boy by Helen Fielding
Bonus: Attachments by Rainbow Rowell
So what are you loving lately? I’m always on the lookout for what is delicious in food, drink, fashion, and life. Let me know your favorites in the comments or write a post of your own and link back here.
If you enjoyed this post, get email updates (it’s FREE).
Image Source: My Instagram!