A first day of school tradition!
1. My favorite book growing up.
2. Now my favorite read aloud.
3. Why is it so great you ask? There is yelling, suspense, begging, and some awesome kid humor.
4. So many opportunities for changing voices and making a connection with my students right away.
5. Strange fact: I keep a concert ticket (Pearl Jam/Rolling Stones 1997) in this book. It’s been there since my first day of teaching. I always tell the kids it’s a sign of my trust to keep it there.
What are your favorite books from childhood?
A GIVEAWAY! Have you entered to win Tales from the Yoga Studio yet? Click here to see how to be entered.
there was this picture book called “arty the smarty” about a fish who always willfully swam against the direction the school was going– more a lesson about the importance of being yourself than about the importance of going with the crowd.
a few years ago, my sister found an old copy of it online and bought it for me. that’s why she’s awesome.
and i love the grover book. thought i’m not sure i’d leave my stones ticket stub in there.
We have this book. Read it to my 25/23 year olds, read it to my 19 year old. Now reading it to my 5 year old! It is quite worn!
Yoga with Gaileee
@gaileee: my original copy from growing up disappeared so my replacement copy is now 8 years into teaching. it’s looking well loved now too. thanks for reading!
@v3: i’ve never hear of arty the smarty and would immediately make it mine, but it is out of print and quite expensive now. love the message and the cover illustration. i hope to read it some day.
your sister is awesome. i hope to meet her some day.